my adventures in South Korea as an native english teacher-

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

my new name is soju

Today is Michelle's fantastical birthday. 
I ate another plate of AMERICAN BREAKFAST -yay
I then got to meet in the groups we will be in for camp and pick our booths( or class I will get to teach 12 times ! ). I am really excited, I have the opportunity  to teach clothing and fashion. Very similar but I'm excited because I really enjoy clothing and fashion so it should fun.  Also I think it will be fun to get to use my fashion design knowledge that I have too. 
 We met our trainers as well, who presented the same thing as the Korean teachers did which was kinda funny.
One is from Canada and is very funny. She has a dog and has a sarcastic sense of humor. The other trainer is a guy from Portland.  The Canadian lady was very pissed off about the facility because there is black mold ,the construction isn't finished and the building is sub-par and not really fit for the kids even. She also told us that this basically is the worst college site she had seen in South Korea. 

I need to vent now- as I am mad having found this out I find that this is really disturbing that they put us here when they have better and more healthy colleges on this island to put us. I mean I understand that they are nervous about the swine flu, but why would you subject people who are helping you to a nasty dirty environment?  Also if they don't want us to become sick, they should have put us in a clean and nice place.  Who knows for sure their reasoning. 
  Here is some small happiness and quirky moments as well to cheer you up though-
Today there was curry for  lunch and that was exciting - it made the cafeteria smell less like fish too. This was great. I actually ate enough food to feel full.  Also when we met this afternoon in our groups and talked with one another and brainstorm ideas about curriculum , during this the women who prepare our food came over to talk with us. They thought one of the girls at my table spoke Korean, but alas she is Chinese. This made for an interesting time. The women video taped us on their cell phones and took our pictures as well. They then attempted to figure out our names and ages. My name apparently is hard to say as they called me su-chen and soju. Soju is an alcoholic beverage in Korea just so you know, it was rather entertaining. So my new name is Soju kim or in Korean Kim Soju.  Tonight will hopefully be fun as we have tried to get cake and beer to celebrate Michelle's  birthday :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

background

Followers

About Me

My photo
OR, United States
I'm a student who is studying international studies and does fashion design.