my adventures in South Korea as an native english teacher-

Monday, July 20, 2009

Living the dream...........

 


                                    “Who casts to write a living line, must sweat

Today was the first of many days in the humid and foggy weather of Wando. Picture profusely sweating and humidity like you cant imagine in your wildest jungle dreams- literally this  is what  it physically feels like to be me in South Korea-
Since I landed in Seoul after a fabulous flight after 11 hours and getting my temperature taken numerous times, I am learning about my new home for the next month. 
Day One
Right now I am being quarantined along with my other fellow Americans. This Odyssey began on the party bus with big red cushy seats and funky window coverings, to where we will be for the next 6 days on the island of Wando. Wando is very beautiful from what I can see in through the thick blanket of fog that covers the entire island in the mornings and through-out most of the day. Today I went on a hike as well and the vegetation was crazy.In the morning we had an interesting, interpetation of what an "American" breakfast consists of - salad, random meats,eggs and toast.After that we subjected ourselves to an interesting uphill battle to see a mystical temple. Which well turned out to be just a over-hyped up brick building. Oh well it was the excitement to get out of the building was all  that really mattered in the end.
 At lunch we learned about our Korean camp people, sorta. It was rather entertaining ,as we found out who was and wasn't single. As well as what their English names were. We have an Ethan, Ian, and Marget. They seem nice. We also have learned where we are going to be put  as far as English camps through out the Jeoallnam-do providence go.I am going to  Damyang which is supposed to be good because it is near a city and a bamboo forest.  Apparently the bamboo forest is kinda cool? idk. prehaps we will see. 
A word about the housing.................
First of all it is a in an older college I'm assuming since it appears to be under construction and the floors are all DAMP. Not to mention there are fans and mosquitoes. I think it is pretty much amazing. 
 I mean it could be a lot worse.To add to the effects that are already so super, beds are short, skinny and not really at all comfy.Although it beats sleeping in the fetal position on the airplane. I guess I should be glad that I have a bathroom that isn't communal and an air conditioner that doesn't shut off at 5 am. 

dinner-
we had an "american dinner" this consisted of rice, cold corn and fries. yum
and free time. yay and this blog beginning. Tomorrow is the beginning of the orientation- should be epic-

No comments:

Post a Comment

background

Followers

About Me

My photo
OR, United States
I'm a student who is studying international studies and does fashion design.